Monday, April 02, 2007

Pebbles

Every word I write here is one less that I should be putting into my essays! Three days ago this would have scared me but being near on delirious with the flu for the past few days has left me with an altered view of the world.

Birds are shining, trees are chirping and that telltale lust of Spring hangs in the air like a giant evil kabuki mask from a bad Saturday morning cartoon. Speaking of which, my childhood heroes got sent through the corporate wash, dressed up in fancy new duds and still managed to hold onto some of the magic. I am of course, talking about TMNT, the newest installment in that great adolescent franchise, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles. Pros include badass fight scenes, Raphael being the man, Patrick Stewart as the villain and some reasonably trans-generational jokes courtesy of Mikey. Cons are the ridiculously poorly defined plot, Master Splinter's 'Sonny Chiba meets a twixer of sake' voice acting and how little attention they paid to all the great monsters they designed. Someone must have been crying into their beer at the premier when the huge beast they spent 3 months designing got shunted to a 3 second jump cut.

Still, better then Turtles 3 (why the hell they even referenced that I'll never know) and even #2 now that I think of it. I think I'd watch it again just to see the Raph v. Leo fight.

No comments: