Monday, April 09, 2007

Idlers & Vanishing Point

There were fun times on friday. Mags had the great idea to watch some old Bruce Lee. The night obviously led to impromptu wrestling before we went out. The Idlers were great as well. So many happy people and happy music.

Too bad the headliner, BA Johnson, wasn't any good.

I'd heard such good things about him too. I think he was trying to pull off this quirky-lo-fi-humour thing but just came off annoying and stupid.

We took off.

And I finally got to see Vanishing Point and The Great Escape on Saturday. Anyone who's seen Grindhouse (however few of you) will know what I'm talking about. Honestly it really confused and bothered me on first watch but I rewatched some scenes on Sunday morning and it made a lot more sense. There's a lot of the movie that doesn't make any sense if you only catch parts of it. At the beginning he's driving towards a roadblock and turns back before taking off into the desert. He stops there for a minute before heading back towards the roadblock. When you take into account how shitty the driver's life turned out the ending makes more sense, though it still feels really sudden and confusing.

Still, THE CAR CHASES! JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUSS! They might be making a sequel with the new incarnation of the Dodge Challenger. I think that the old Challenger name probably hit a high-water mark in the 70s. Trying to remake a cult classic with an inferior model is going to be a hard sell, but if they can pull off a good highway chase that's all I'll need.

No comments: