Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I had a terrifying flash of "old man syndrome" the other day when I was thinking about making a mix-cd. I remember the argument that High Fidelity brought up that the mix tape was an art and how hesitant people seemed to be about the concept of mix-cds once that medium was popular. But CDs are going bye bye in the face of flash media, ubiquitious internet access and wi-fi, so what's left for the personal mix of songs that you make for people?

I suppose the only functional option left is the podcast, but that strips out the package that you get when you deliver the mix. There's little room for art, it gets lost in some corner of your hard-drive you'll visit every few months...

I suppose that we've got a few years left until the CD is an anachronism but it's going to be a sad day when someone tells you they don't have any way to play your mix.

No comments: