Tuesday, February 10, 2009

There isn't much to say right about now but I haven't written in a while and I wanted to make an effort to churn out some positive work so I'm forcing myself here at 12:30 to throw down some words. To be fair this is my magic hour. I do some of my best work in this "I should be in bed" period and as much as I WOULD rather be trying to sleep I'm holding myself hostage to the keyboard so I won't look back and regret time wasted.

All in all it's been a mixed few days. I've been doing some reading about psychological health and dealing with the ending of a relationship. A few times I've had to set aside all my reservations and embrace the self-help style, new-age, ultra-positive lingo that makes up the majority of self-help sources. I will grant that I am in pretty bad need of some advice and I'm not going to begrudge it a style of writing I'm not a fan of. My reading has led me to some effective coping techniques (including writing, hence all the content lately) and taking a few steps off the normal social channels. At this point I've only been getting bad news from Facebook and whatever else shows me every minutiae about my social circle's internet activity so I've opted to check it once or twice a day for less then a minute unless replying to a message. I'm calmer now, generally, and while some info that drags me down sifts through I haven't been flat out mad for a while. I've even found that most people I actually care about hearing from are much easier to come by then I thought. Hell, Facebook is probably responsible for me not seeing them that much due to their every action being broadcast all the time. It's hard to need to catch up to someone whose life is out there on a webpage being updated in real time.

So I've found some solace in that. My other source of distraction has been Battlestar Galactica. I simply didn't have enough time before to watch it and get everything else that needed to be done out of the way but I've got time aplenty now so I've been tearing through it. There are a lot of things I cringe whenever I see, especially since it comes so highly regarded, but then I'll catch a subtle bit imagery or they'll juxtapose the story or the characters in just the right way to open up a whole new facet that you didn't recognize before. All the same, the really interesting bits can be buried by random deus-ex machina or character motivations that fall out of the sky or waiting too long to add to narratives brought up episodes ago. Just nitpicks that occasionally inspire Lost-rage. It's been keeping me thinking and entertained and that is exactly what I need right now. I've even taken to exercising during the show.

Well now it's REALLY time to hit publish and turn in for the night. Maybe someday I'll have more discipline.

Edit: Also, this weekend is going to be a nightmare...

No comments: