Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cuff the Duke

So we've got a lot of snow down on the ground here in Newfoundland. It's stopped planes and pretty much everything that you'd want to do. My plans for a party tonight at my place were buried under so much white fluff you could put fluffer nutter out of business. So imagine my suprise when one of my good friends from Halifax tells me that I should head down to the ship the night to see one snowed in band of some national reputation, that is, Cuff the Duke. I'm estatic.

Cuff the Duke is a great band in their own right and i always feel a surge of pride when bands I like come here and play small venues. Arena shows are always so sterile. Moms and their kids who are wide eyed fans. People who got tickets from people in the know... It's a different, and to me far inferior experience to that of a nice 'intimate' bar show. The band is right there, not behind some monolithic barrier of barrel chested security guards. It's even more special when it's at a venue that I've got a great deal of respect for. The Ship has that quality of a local Black Sheep or Zaphod's. It's a place that the up and coming bands play when they're in the area. I know Cuff the Duke has made their own name and are enjoy a huge amount of national success but that makes this all the better. Getting to return to the small venues and the close crowds and operating outside of the ticket giants and promoters and handlers.

I guess the guys are used to the bigger shows now and everything that that brings but for my money i'm glad that I get the toned down version.