Monday, May 14, 2007

Filmday

In keeping with this weekends theme of staying in I had all the time in the world today to indulge my movie addiction. Todays fare was a big one:

Kill Bill Vol. 2
Thriller
Master of the Flying Guilliotine
8 1/2

Kill Bill is an old favourite of mine and I enjoyed it all the more after not seeing it for a while and thru my recent binge of watching films that Tarantino borrowed from. I always get a little teary eyed at the end when Beatrix and B.B. get reunited. It was also fitting that I catch up on that as the next two movies were sources of inspiration for the Kill Bills.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture is the movie that Elle Driver's character was somewhat based off of. I've got to say that I haven't watched many other films that are so out front with evil acts. Madeline, the girl with the eye patch, is raped as a child, is a mute her entire life, gets kidnapped by a pimp and forcibly addicted to heroin to keep her compliant. The first half of the movie is Madeline's life getting worse and worse and worse including a lot of hardcore sex scenes. I hear the english version doesn't include these scenes and that they got it banned in Sweden. They are a little gratuitious at times but the first time you see her get climbed on and fucked you really get a sense of desparation and pity for the poor girl and disgust for the people who caused it to happen. It makes the whole revenge section all the more enjoyable. Madeline finds out that her parents were sent several letters in her name and were so dejected they commited suicide. One-Eye learns to fight, shoot and drive all while attempting to handle her heroin addiction. The final revenge section where she seeks out all her "clients" and the man who kidnapped her in the first place is pretty satisfying and there are a lot of cheap but fun scenes including Madeline going around in a black trenchcoat and eyepatch with a sawed off shotgun and some very Matrix looking slow motion scenes whenever she shoots. I'm glad I watched it but I don't think I'd rewatch anytime soon.

Next up was Master of the Flying Guillotine. Man was this funny. In typical Shaw Brothers fashion every punch and kick and throw is associated with a special effect noise. The music that plays when the Master is on screen is great, and appears in some of the kung-fu scenes in Kill Bill Vol. 1. The Flying Guillotine itself is awesome. It's a beekeeper hat on a chain that lands on your head and sticks out little blades that lop the targets head off. The One Armed Boxer killed the Masters diciples and Master is out for revenge. Not much else plot-wise but the kung-fu is hilarious, especially that of the Yoga Master who can extend his arms an extra few feet andd has the most rediculious prop arms I've ever seen. Just a tonne of fun little scenes and style in this.

And finally I finally managed to catch 8 1/2. I got a Citizen Kane vibe when I finished watching it. I understood most of it but it seemed like I was missing something. I checked out a plot synapsis and it made the movie a little more clear to think about but I still haven't really let it digest much yet. Don't get me wrong, it was really good but thinking movies have to sit with me a little while before I can make anything out of them.

Alright. That's enough film for tonight. Job hunting tomorrow time to get a little more agressive about it.